Email contributions to:
All scientific contributions addressed to the community will be forwarded to the special-events mailing list. If you DO NOT want your email being forwarded, please address it to IRIS or explicitly write do not forward.
Email contributions to: ¶
Event parameters (from USGS) ¶
These are preliminary results and are subject to change without notice. Please check the USGS page for the latest official information.
|UTC Time||Friday May 4, 2018 at 22:32:55 UTC|
|Distance||16km SW of Leilani Estates, Hawaii|
|Details||USGS Executive summary page|
- USGS Executive summary page
- 3D model of the Kilauea Volcano’s summit lava lake
- Webcams, Kīlauea Volcano, Summit
- Tilt and GPS Deformation Data
- USGS Event KML
- Volcano Monitoring Data at Kīlauea
- Volcano Watch
- IRIS Earthquake Sci, @IRIS_EPO
- Jascha Polet, @CPPGeophysics
- patton_cascadia, @patton_cascadia
- Anthony Lomax, @ALomaxNet
- Products for this event
- IRIS DMC Event Page
- Interactive Earthquake Browser
- IRIS Special Events Archive
Videos & Animations ¶
Miscellaneous Contributions ¶
M6.9 recorded with geophones in NV & OK
[Jim O'Donnell, BC-Geophysics] The M6.9 was recorded using a Sigma 4 recorder with geophones in both Boulder City (BC), NV and near Ponca City, OK with the KawLake seismic array which is being utilized to record the seismicity in OK. By using a very good seismic recorder, low noise, we are able to inverse filter the data from the geophone response down to a much lower frequency.
The Boulder City site used 1 Hz, 2.5 Hz (hs), and 4.5 Hz Sunfull geophones in the Z direction, while the OK site used a 3c 2.0 Hz geophone compared to a CMG 40T seismometer. The event is shown below with both time series and amplitude spectra in velocity. The records are attached, with a map showing the location of both sites and the M6.9 epicenter..
IRIS DMC Event Page
The IRIS DMC event page for this event contains links to additional tools and data.
These other pages were tagged similarly:
- Gulf of Alaska [Special Event: 2018-01-23]
- Northern Peru [Special Event: 2019-05-26]
- Central California [Special Event: 2019-07-04]
- North of Anchorage, Alaska [Special Event: 2018-11-30]
- 2017 North Korean nuclear test [Special Event: 2017-09-03]
- Generalized GMVs: post-TA ground motion visualizations [Newsletter Article: 2025-12-28 Vol. 99, Num. 1]
- Are You Ready? Introducing Research Ready Data Sets (RRDS) [Newsletter Article: 2018-03-26 Vol. 20, Num. 1]
- How do I interpret magnitudes and magnitude types? [FAQ]
- GMV2 [Product]
- DMC short course at 2018 IRIS Workshop [Newsletter Article: 2018-03-23 Vol. 20, Num. 1]